Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Review: Slammed by Colleen Hoover


Title: Slammed
Author: Colleen Hoover
Genre: YA fiction/ Romance
Rating: 4/5 Stars

“It's not just lies they're referring to. It's life. You can't run to another town, another place, another state. Whatever it is you're running from-it goes with you. It stays with you until you find out how to confront it.”

Layken is an 18-year-old girl who has to move to Michigan with her mother and 9-year-old brother after her father passes away.  Even though she has came to terms with her father’s death, she is a girl filled with emotional turmoil. She is a character that you root for, wanting her to overcome her battles and stand strong.

She immediately meets Will, her next-door neighbor and his brother Coulder. For me, the relationship between Lake and Will starts off too quickly. Even though I do understand that their connection is needed right off the bat because of the situation that they get into, I feel that there was no way they could have been that deeply involved with each other to put so much at stake.

Will and Lake have a tough relationship. They both want each other, but they are being pulled apart by something they have no control over. They are forbidden to be with each other, but their feelings for each other keeps on pulling them back. Throughout the book, their feelings for each other grew on me, and I was cheering for them all the way.  They overcome obstacles that they shouldn’t have to face at such a young age. With another unexpected secret about to be discovered, Lake needs Will more than ever to help her get through the hand she’s been dealt.  

I loved that Will is a responsible, mature adult. He takes care of his little brother, and he never once complains about the burden or the difficulties he goes through. He puts his little brother first in everything, which is both a good and bad thing.

The writing in Slammed is wonderful, and the poetry is absolutely beautiful. I have always loved reading poetry, and this blew me away. The author was able to take a few lines and turn them into something absolutely moving. This story had me laughing, smiling, and even crying a little bit more than I thought I would. It is an emotional ride that leaves you breathless and wanting more. A must read. 

“I got schooled this year
by
a
boy.
A boy that I'm seriously, deeply, madly, incredibly, and undeniably in love with.
And he taught me the most important thing of all...
To put the emphasis
On life .”

No comments:

Post a Comment